Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The mandarin eats

Some great news. The mandarin eats! And he eats something other than pods!

No more speculation--finally, I can venture into the realm of fact. This mandarin happily and greedily consumes roe, the orange fish eggs scattered atop sushi rolls. He slurps them off the sand, off the rocks, and even gobbles clusters of them. By many accounts, these fish can only eat small portions at a time, but mine devoured every last orange ball he could find and was hungry for more. This may be because he hasn't eaten much in several days (he wiped out the podulation), and once he gets in trim shape, he may settle down and not go after the roe with such zeal.

I can't really express how exciting it was to witness this fish finally eating.

Now for some questions I'm going to look into.

Will roe sustain a mandarin indefinitely? I need to look up the nutrtional content of roe. Also, I'd like to find a brand that doesn't have sugar or soy or other crap, even though most fish foods contain soybean in some form.

Good news is I won't have to rely solely on pods, though I plan to buy a bottle or two every month.

Other questions... do other mandarins eat roe as well? I'll have to contact an LFS that carries multiple fish and see if they'd be willing to try feeding them roe.Now that I know for a fact he is eating something I can supply in abundance, I can finally begin to experiment and try to wean him onto Cyclo-peeze--if he isn't eating them already--then mysis, then ultimately powdered Formula 1. Best way to do this is the mandarin diner, which was mentioned at the outset of this project.

A nice thing about roe is it goes straight to the bottom, unlike the Cyclo which floats and wanders.

For the first time since I started this project, I feel like I'm not on a fool's errand and even somewhat vindicated, and all of my time and work hasn't been for naught.

To read about the whole of this project, please see my article here.

- Josh Day
of Josh Day .com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home