Sunday, May 29, 2005

Greyhounds, pods, guppies, and HITH

Several updates today. Let's begin with the most miscellaneous
one.

My wife and I are "adopting" a greyhound from a state greyhound
racing "rescue" group. We went to Greensboro, NC on Sat. under
the impression, as we were pre-approved, that we could select a
dog and go home with it. Not so. The group has been less than
professional with us on several instances, and that was the last
straw for me. I was ready to say to hell with this cause who
wants to drive 2 and a half hours out AGAIN to get the dog, esp.
with gas prices this high?

Anyway, Leah really wanted a dog and we looked at one last
little female and decided on her. We'll be picking her up this
upcoming Saturday. She's all black with a white heart on her
chest and was the calmest dog we looked at. The decision was
pretty much instant.

Ok, now to fish. ;)

I can now finally, safely say ICH is no more. The meds were
total crap. Didn't do anything but strengthen the strain and
make it super-immune. The salt and heat destroyed it, though.
Absolutely no sign of ich for a week now. I lost the banana and
sword plant, but banana plants are cheap and grow very fast in
my tank. A small price to pay.

I moved about 6 small male guppies into the planted tank.
They're doing great in there. The progenitor male is getting his
tail torn apart, and it is still continuing after removing the
males. Oh well, nothing much I can do.

My pod population for the mandarin appears to be diminishing.
This is not good because the quart jars are not working at all.
I can only see one or two pods at a time, and the population
should be exploding and the glass covered in them.

In the main tank I can still see a pod on nearly every spot of
glass, rock, or sand, but I have to look much harder now, and
there are less. They are still abundant in their breeding
scrubber pads, and they crawl over the scoll algae at night.
I'm going to get some caulerpa pearl algae from a local fish
store and stuff a wad or two into the pod pile. I may add
another scrubber or two...

The quart jars were a total waste. At least the bottle I added
first was worth it; I just wish now I had left them in the
bottle in the first place.

The discus's hole in the head may or may not be getting better.
Two of the four holes seem to be covering up, but the other 2
merged into one big hole. The fish looks horrible. I'm still
treating with garlic, but I haven't been as good with water
changes as I should be. It's just a pain in the ass doing it
every other day; I'm doing well if I do one every four days.
Well, that's about it, I guess. Still haven't developed the
underwater camera. Will try to do that this week.

- Josh

Take a look at my site

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home