Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Jumper

Several days ago I bought a second fish for the future reef tank, a firefish goby. I keep an open tank and I was aware that these fish are known jumpers, but the one I purchased was in the same tank at the fish store for a good two months. I figured any jumpiness he had in him would have shown up already.

A few days back I bought a margarita snail and I was watching it chew cud on the glass. I happen to look over and see these larvae-shaped, white and pink squirmy thing on the floor. It looked just like one of those brightly colored fake fishing lures, only this was alive. I scooped the fish up in the net, returned it the to the tank, and watched it for about an hour. I leave the room for ten minutes, come back, and the fresh fish smell hits me. I find the fish five minutes later after some serious searching between 2 books on the bottom shelf of a nearby bookshelf, doing a good job of drying up.

I put the fish in the net, lower it to the water, and wait a few minutes. Looks like it's a goner. I take it out to flush, and it jumps. Put it back in, gills start working, I release it, and it floats to the bottom... right by the live rock the starfish lives in. Immediately, the tentacles are out, and they latch onto the fish. It was like watching an octopus track down a tuna. The goby got away, languished for a bit in an opposite corner, then the current kicked him around. I netted him, dropped him into a cup of freezing freshwater, and that was that.

Joshday.com

P.S. Please check out two great articles about betta care at my article section. They're written by a knowledgable breeder who has been doing this for years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home