Monday, July 03, 2006

The Nano Reef: A Step by Step Guide for Beginners


Well, I've finally put up my 4 part article on nano reefs. This has appeared in several places on the Internet and has helped a lot of fish hobbyists break the hurdle of venturing into saltwater.

I'm sure you've seen saltwater fish and corals on the "expensive" side of your LFS. Haven't you always wanted to try marine? But then you hear how hard it is, or how much it all costs, and how it's good for only "advanced" hobbyists.

Bullshit, I say.

Even if you've never had a freshwater tank before, you CAN start with saltwater. And get this... you can start small, and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. It is simply not true when someone says bigger is better for saltwater. In fact, it's a bald faced lie that hurts the saltwater hobby and scares away new people.

I encourage everyone to check out my article, even if you've never considered trying your hand at saltwater.

I've written everything so it's easy to understand and you really don't need any knowledge of marine care.

Edit June 2007: The article is off-line as it is being revised.

- Josh
http://www.joshday.com

1 Comments:

Blogger jjj said...

Hi Josh and all,
I am so relieved to see your site. I have started a nano (15G High) after 27 years out of SW aquaria. Back in that day I started a 55gal with my new Ecology degree and some 10 years with fresh water. I did things relatively unheard of in those days. A tank with lots of color/impact and little cost (relatively).

I placed two plain old shop lights on top (fit great) fitted with 4 gro lux tubes figuring high intnesity full spectral lighting would act like a natural driver. This lead to a back drop of green algae to eat up nitrates as well (and I did not know this at the time) help to grow pods which the Mandarin loved. Yes we had strong colorful smallish fish like him, bnaded shrimp, clowns, anemone, flame scallop, roayl gramma ...

It was a great success. Now I am starting a nano but didn't even know what one was at the start until I started looking at the threads/discussions. I was so disappointed at how so many have been sucked into the hight tech hype (I'm a technology consultant ... go figure) and offer anectdotal "research" comments.

I thought everyone would be refreshed and happy to see some new ideas offered in a low tech, cost saving way: like CF lighting (broad spectral if you would like) in standard screw in fixtures, 15 gal high to make use of 10 gallon accessories, simple WallyMart power filter ... but no, very few if any comments/responses.

I look forward to this new nano and adding a Mandarin in due time. Thank you so much in sharing like ideas and daring to come forward with forward thinking!

John Miullo

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home