Sunday, March 05, 2006

New 29 gallon

I have a lot to update.

My wife has started her own tank, inititally for goldfish, which is a 29 gallon. Ultimately she decided on an oscar. Yes, this is a cardinal sin... omigod you're putting an oscar in something less than 55 gallons (or 70) omigod omigod... but here's the interesting thing about the 29 gallon we have. I don't know if this is standard for most models, but it's as wide as my 55 gallon, with about half an inch less, around 11.5 inches deep or so. If a single oscar can live in a 12 inch wide 55 gallon, I don't see why such a hardy fish could not live in a 29 gallon, singly, as the only fish.

Only thing I'd worry about is water splashes.

We've also added two crayfish for scavengers. Oscars prey on crayfish in the wild, so these guys will probably be lunch when the oscar hits 6-7". However, I'm doing an experiment of sorts... anecdotal evidences suggests some oscars allow a feeder fish to live with them for years, and my hope is this oscar will grow up with these two crayfish and as I have no plan of introducing live food like ghost shrimp he'll never develop the taste for living invertebrates.

But time will tell.

Right now I'm more worried about the crayfish.

I bought a special blue cray (crawfish, I am from New Orleans) and I don't know how things will work out with this smaller blue male and the larger brown female. i think there are the same species that it may work out, but I don't know. I noticed today the blue male has lost one antenna on the side of his face. But there hasn't been any new fighting, but who knows what happens when the light goes off.

Here are is a pic of the blue and oscar:

Josh Day
http://joshday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home