Thursday, March 30, 2006

Terrible algae in planted tank

Since I replaced the tacky white and red gravel in my planted tank with crushed coral, and the plants with java fern and jungle val, I've been having algae from hell. This could be due to the higher alkalinity from the crushed coral, which buffers the water 7.6.

Occupant of the tank is one figure 8 puffer.

I've tried blackouts, lowering the light to 4 hours a day, 50% water changes every other day, and nothing has slowed the algae. It's green and covers the gravel, and there is also diatoms too.

I'm adding an oto from the 55 gallon to see if it can help. I don't think he'll touch the green slimy stuff, but it would be great if he'd wipe out the brown algae.

- Josh
joshday.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Hi Josh!
I bought a java fern for my tank just this week! I hope I don't get algae too... but I also bought an algea eater so hopefully he'll keep things clean.
Hope you're doing well!

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try adding stem plants, and more fast growing plants. One reason for the algae boom is the excess nutrients that are not used up fast enough by the java ferns. Java ferns are relatively slow growing plants.
Try buying plants like cobomba and just leave them to float for 2 weeks and see if the algae problem persists. When it is stable, u can take out the cobomba.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home