Monday, March 05, 2007

The Ray

I lost the ray.

At about 8 PM the evening after the last post I noticed the ray stuck in the corner, as if his reverse was no longer working. I shifted him away and saw the worst: the death curl. The ends of the disc curl upward, indicating nerve damage. Once the death curl hits death is imminent.

He lived for 24 more hours before I euthanized him in a styrofoam container with clove oil.

The reason for his death is obvious: ammonia, nitrite, and a pH crash.

Obviously I DO NOT recommend toxivec unless in severe situations, like a prolonged power outage where you lose all your bacteria and need to immediately lower ammonia levels. This product has no business being introduced into a new tank, whether it's seeded with plenty of established filter media or not.

It may come from Germany, but in the end, it's just another "Cycle."

- Josh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home