Wednesday, January 25, 2006

CRASH

No, not Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums, but the kind of crash that happens if a piece of live rock falls.

Woke up this morning to see my tonga branch on its side... and my crocea clam hanging by its byssal threads. I managed to erect the rock back to its standing position, but it came at a great cost... the flame scallop had attached to the fallen tonga rock and I was forced to pry it free, tearing some of its threads. I do not expect it to live much longer...

The rocks were balanced together and buried in the sand. Though they've been fine for months, the recent jostling I had to do to place my new squamosa clam probably tipped the iceberg.

Some good news... the scallop is displaying its mantle and seems to be ok, but the foot is so delicate, I will be surprised if it lives through this.

I'm going to move the tank anyway and use this time to putty together the rocks and hopefully give them a better base.

I'm killing my planted tank and I'm going to put the reef tank in its place, in a much better viewing location. A guy in my local reef club is taking the fish and moving them to a much better home, a 55 gallon planted.

Don't know what I'll do with the empty tank yet, but I'm leaning to making it brackish and then eventually low end saltwater, enough to support live rock.

- Josh
http://joshday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home