Thursday, December 15, 2005

Afternoon update

I fed some Tetra colorbits (the pink granules with discus on the bottle) to the 55 gallon tank and sure enough, the two new discus accepted them happily. The old discus would never touch em... he's a wild caught brown, and the only thing he'll eat is bloodworms and occasionally a bite of flake, as long as it's enriched in garlic.

Before I did another water change, i checked for nitrates... under 5 ppm! I changed a lot of water frequently up until the discus arrived, and it looks like it did the trick. The tough part now is getting it stay this low. Honestly, I'll be happy if I can keep nitrates under 20 ppm.

I left the light off on the side of the tank the discus are hiding for three days. Then I put in an actinic bulb to get them used to lighting. By Sunday I'll change both lights to a pink colormax bulb, like the one that illuminates 1/2 my planted ten gallon.

- Josh
http://joshday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home