Monday, February 21, 2005

Evening update

Still no visible cysts.

I got the package from Big Al's in Canada with my two vials of metronidazole. Last week I ordered them in case the discus's HITH takes a drastic turn downhill. Right now I'm treating with garlic and frequent water changes, keeping the nitrate ideally below 15, and it seems to keep the holes at bay. Not getting any bigger, but not receding either. I'll be forced to try the metro again if it doesn't start to heal in a few weeks.

A couple posts ago I said I believed the metro may have caused the HITH, but that's not really the case... it was just some bad circumstancial evidence. The discus was never eating much and most likely had severe defiencies in several areas... he's eating now, so that's a good sign. Both discus eat with the other fish and there is no trace at all of white stringy feces, the tell-tale sign of IP.

Anyway, I read metro can be used to treat ich too. Largely, it's used in marine tanks, but I've read a couple articles where there was some success in freshwater too. I added the first dose tonight and we'll see how things look tomorrow and the next day. Hopefully, the metro will preempt the outbreak that may be coming...

On another note, I've been thinking a lot today about finally getting a Q-tank. Reason I never did before was because I have multiple tanks and it just seemed redundant to have yet another used as temp. housing. After all, Q-tanks are far from failproof... some people keep their new arrivals on Ellis Island for up to a month yet still see disease strike their clean tank. Also, I'm pretty impatient when it comes to fish so I'll only be Q'ing two weeks max. You can guess I'm no fan of fishless cycling for that matter, but that's another post :)

I'll either swap out the 5 gallon heater in the frog tank, which is rich in nitrobacters, a nice slime coating along the plastic covering. Maybe I'll swap out the sponge filter too and instantly cycle the little tank. Guppies would be great to keep in the tank as permanent residents to keep the tank cycled.

Now all I have to do is get Leah's green light on yet another tank in our tiny, cramped appartment...

- J
http://joshday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home