Sunday, February 20, 2005

Ich day 2

Well, no more signs of ich in my planted tank, but that means all of nothing. It may take two more days before the next cysts develop, if they're going to develop... I cranked the temp higher, but my heater doesn't seem to want to get above 82.

On another note, the new gourami has proven to be a gourmet of aquatic plants. Today I find him tearing apart the root structure of one of my mayaca bunches, and later he scattered the strands and uprooted them. I quickly moved him to the 55 gallon tank, which is always kept at 83 degrees for the discus. Only plastic plants to munch on there...

Once I'm in the clear, I'd like to get another gourami-type fish, maybe a paradise or rainbow fish, just something colorful and more of a "centerpiece" fish than tetras. Something that doesn't eat the plants.

The color of the gourami perfectly matched the tank so it's highly annoying to have yet another thing not work out lately... this cascade of failures, death, and disease actually began in my 55 gallon when I was treating the discus for intestinal parasites with Seachem's metronidazole. The stuff cleared up the IP, but ironically, the large discus developed a slight case of hole in the head. This is funny because metro is supposed to treat HITH, and yet the discus develops it during the med treatment.

While I had success with the metro, I would first recommend fresh crushed or minced garlic for fish with IP. Mince the garlic and then rub it over a plate or bowl's bottom. Then sprinkle some food on the plate and make sure it gets soaked with garlic juices... this is believed to kill IP, and it's worked for me. Only reason I used metro was because it's supposedly very safe and is again, supposedly, the best treatment for IP.

Anyway, while treating the discus, I turned my attention to the planted tank and made the cardinal tetra decision. Since then, it's been one mess-up after another. I only hope ich doesn't spread like wildfire... I learned my lesson already.

Josh Day
http://joshday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home