Friday, February 18, 2005

Welcome to The Aquatic Hobbyist

Welcome to my blog, The Aquatic Hobbyist. I started this blog as a fish journal where I can share my experiences and ideas in keeping fish. I currently operate two 10 gallon tanks, a 55 gallon, a 5 gallon circular frog tank I made myself, a 3 gallon brackish guppy tank with a fiddler crab, and 2 betta vases, one of which is densely planted with java moss and elodea.

Sounds like a lot, but with good care and regular maintenance, aquariums beat a messy cat or dog any day for attention and time!

I'll be discussing my fish, my different tanks, problems and diseases, future plans, future fish, wild ideas for new systems, and a whole lot more. What got me into the hobby was the dream of one day keeping a freshwater stingray. These rays require pristine conditions and a vast tract of space--I'm planning on a 125 gallon tank at least! I'll talk more about rays in future posts...

Today I'd like to break down each of my tanks and give a cursory manifest of their occupants.

Ten gallon A:

1 powder blue dwarf gourami
5 neon tetras
4 cardinal tetras
2 black neon tetras
2 glowlight tetras
1 silver hatchetfish
3 kuhli loaches
1 oto
4-5 ghost shrimp

This tank is densely planted with java moss, elodea, mayaca fluviatis, rotala, onion plants, and anubias. Because of the high plant content, the system can support a much higher bioload due to the CO2 and nitrate consuming plants.

Ten gallon B:

4 juvenile kribensis
1 green spotted puffer

I'll talk more about the puffer and the controversy surrounding the species per water and salinity requirements in a future post.

Fifty-five gallon

1 wild blue discus
1 royal blue snakeskin discus
1 angelfish
2 bala sharks
1 ghost knife
1 royal pleco
2 black skirt tetras, one a long-finned
2 clown loaches
2 otos

This tank is filtered with peat moss and is thus a blackwater tank.

Three gallon brackish

1 male guppy
2 female guppies
Approximately 10 fry
1 male fiddler crab

Five gallon frog tank

2 African clawed frogs

This was a fun tank to make. I sawed off the top of a 5 gallon lexan water bottle--you know, the kind at work, the water cooler bottle--and put in a 1/4 inch black sand as substrate. I filter with a sponge filter.

1.2 gallon betta vase

2 white clouds
1 female betta
1 ghost shrimp

This vase is planted with java moss and elodea.

Betta vase B

1 male betta

---

I think that's everything... maybe I'm forgetting a fish or two, or possibly a tank, haha.

Enjoy the blog, and be sure to check out my website below.

Josh Day
http://joshday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home