Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Driftwood: Unsinkable

About a month ago I bought a large chunk of driftwood. Even screwed into a marble base, it was too bulky to sink. I soaked it for a month, boiled it for a few hours, but it still wouldn't sink. The piece is solid all the way through, and I probably could have soaked the thing for a year and it would still float.

I didn't want to take it off its base and screw it to a heavier piece of slate as I had no guarantee that would add sufficient enough bottom weight. I also didn't want to drill for fear of splintering the wood.

I got seven pieces of slate and simply layered them across the marble base once I held the wood down in the tank. Not only does this securely anchor the driftwood piece, as you can see it looks great. More natural.

Josh
http://joshday.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home